Cindy Heilman MSFN, NDTR, FAND
My lifelong dedication to hospitality and nutrition shines in my passion for enriching meal times for older adults, and staff serving meals.
Through my graduate research, I recognized the relationship between improved training of serving staff and a respectful dining experience in aging services communities.
My unique background in restaurant ownership, hospitality, healthcare food service, working as a Dietetic Technician Registered and as a Healthcare Specialist at SYSCO Foodservices, led me to the development of my exclusive program that improves relationships and lives of aging residents through the dining experience.
Where did this passion for hospitality come from?
I grew up experiencing meals as defining moments–each one an opportunity to enjoy someone’s company.
Later, as a food service director, I realized that we are neither born nor often trained in the knowledge, skills, and attitudes that impart authentic hospitality.
As I completed my research and earned my Master’s Degree in Nutrition and Food Management, I examined the meal priorities of residents and staff, discovering that my own passion for hospitality could transform server training.
Higher Standards was born from this passion. Kind Dining® is a 9-part training program that begins that transformation.
Sharing meals is one of the most satisfying experiences we do as humans. We talk, we laugh, we discuss, and we interact with each other.
My graduate research taught me the connection residents make over meals is vital to their happiness and sense of belonging.
Working in restaurants, and food service in senior living communities, enabled me to recognize the gap between server and resident relationships.
I felt a calling to change professions and was compelled to create a training program designed exclusively for servers in this environment.
I look forward to helping you attract new residents, retain staff, and outperform your competition.
Professional Recognition & Membership/Activities
- At Large Delegate: Dietetic Technician: American Dietetic Association 2010-2012
- Award for Excellence in Dietetic Technology 1999: American Dietetic Association
- Recognized Dietetic Technician of the Year 1998: Oregon Dietetic Association
- Honors Committee Member: 2009-2010: American Dietetic Association
- Fast Track Candidate National Speakers Association (NSA) 2009-2010
- Member Education Committee: Making Oregon Vital for Elders (M.O.V.E. coalition)
- Member Oregon Dietetic Association, Oregon Consulting Dietitians
- Past Board of Directors: Oregon Health Care Association (OHCA): Business Partner Rep: 2003-2008